Tuesday, January 10, 2012

What is the Cure for Writer's Block?

Courtesy of The New Yorker.
What's the secret? How are some bloggers able to update all of their blogs (public, personal, and professional) and social media networks on a daily basis? How do they gather meaningful, interesting, and relevant topics; engage with their readers, AND still have time to go out, explore, and live life?

Though we're only ten days into this new year, and I am already struggling with my goal of writing daily updates on all of my networks. Twitter is probably the easiest for me to catch up with (it's times like these when I'm thankful for that 140 character limit). On the other hand, my Facebook profile is a ghost town with very minimal activity from me; I only go on Facebook to see what my friends are up to. While I want to write more substantial posts on Blogger, I just don't have the time to sit down and brainstorm great ideas for enlightening and/or entertaining entries. When it comes to my paper journal and LiveJournal updates on what I did that day/week, I keep on postponing that task until the items are no longer fresh in my memory. I think I'm really going to implement that 'write down every interesting thought and/or occurrence that you encounter down on a pad of paper before you forget it later on' strategy ASAP. I'm constantly behind on my Tumblr dashboard (and by the time I get all caught up, my body and mind are telling me that it's time for bed, leaving no more time for leisure until the next evening, when that cycle starts all over again...). When I'm lucky enough to have a few free minutes to just write it all out, I find that lack the inspiration and/or energy to produce anything longer than a paragraph in length.

I'm not even sure what the purpose of this entry is. A rant? A call-out for advice? A plead to the writing gods to kindly bless me with the gift of brilliant ideas and beautiful words?

Asking for the cure for writer's block is just like asking what the meaning of life is.

"I loved words. I love to sing them and speak them and even now, I must admit, I have fallen into the joy of writing them." — Anne Rice

1 comment:

  1. When inspiration strikes, you'll know it - it'll come to you fresh and sharp like a glass of orange juice ;) Lovely blog!!!

    ReplyDelete