Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Greatest Whitney Of All

Whitney Houston (1963-2012)
Image from delingcity

"We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will." - Whitney Houston

My goodness. It seems like just yesterday when I was writing about Etta James's passing. I can't believe that we're saying goodbye to yet another music legend - the remarkable Whitney Houston.

Whitney Houston is regarded by many as one of the greatest singers of our time. Since the 1980s, she has released multiple hits, from her first #1 record in 1985, "Saving All My Love for You" to her latest single, "I Look to You". Even more, Whitney is esteemed as an artist who has touched millions of lives. Her songs resonate with people and inspire them to fall in love with music, to become music makers, and to follow their dreams, no matter what. In the wake of her death, I've heard many stories from her fans about how Whitney has had an tremendous influence on them. "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" brings back fond high school memories. "I Will Always Love You" moves many to tears and encourages many aspiring singers to pursue careers in music. "When You Believe", her duet with Mariah Carey, was an unforgettable moment for fans of the two superstars.

Along with "I Have Nothing", which I consider to be one of the most powerful and passionate vocal performances of all time, I'd like to remember Whitney by "The Greatest Love Of All". This song contains an important lesson I wish everyone could hear: "Love yourself for who you are". There was something very human about Whitney. Like any person, she faced her share of challenges in life, but she worked hard to overcome the obstacles in her path. Whitney is an example of resilience and strength, and a symbol of empowerment to women who want to achieve greatness in their lives.

It is with great sadness and heavy hearts that we bid farewell to the iconic Whitney Houston.
May you find the peace you deserve.

We will always love you, Whitney.

No comments:

Post a Comment