On March 10th, YWiB SFU hosted the 2012 International Women's Day Conference, a day dedicated to celebrating the achievements of women in our everyday lives as well as women around the globe. This year's theme of "Connecting Girls, Inspiring Futures" encourages women to start making a difference by sharing their own stories and visions for the future with other like-minded and motivated women as a stepping stone towards overcoming the adversity and achieving their dreams.
Among the roster of speakers was the ambitious Anna Rice, whose great list of accomplishments include being a two-time Olympic athlete for the Canadian National Badminton Team, an ambassador for Right to Play, and a coordinator for Choose Again. During her keynote presentation on tapping into your strengths and unleashing the true and unique essence of who you are, she shared her five steps to 'Connecting with your Inner Olympian':
- Direct your DREAM. Remember that YOU are the one with the power to design your dreams and to drive towards your ultimate destination. When you get lost in what you're doing (as if you're 'in the zone' and time doesn't exist), you have discovered your passion. Investing yourself in what you love is the cornerstone of having abundance in your life.
- Find your BALANCE. Work and life should not be separate, but synergized! Maximize your happiness and potential by ensuring that you are enjoying what you are doing and are able to draw inspiration from all areas of work and life.
- LOVE yourself. Treat yourself as if you already are the person you strive to be. In tough times, recognize what others would want you to do. That is the true meaning of selflessness.
- Have GRATITUDE. Appreciate the opportunities you are presented with. Every situation is a gift. Whether good or bad, you will always take away an important lesson out of any experience. Be aware of the energy you attract by focusing on the positive.
- CREATE! Do not be intimidated to present your unique essence with others. When you share, you will grow personally and leave an imprint on those around you. Write your own HERstory!