Sunday, January 01, 2012

Rapid Eye Movement

I have always been fascinated with dreams. The idea of entering an alternate dimension in your subconscious state that is a reflection of what you are facing in reality is a concept that I give great thought to. In my dreams, I tend to encounter several recurring themes, and after researching the deeper meaning behind the symbols I come across, they always bear great significance to whatever I'm thinking or feeling in the present state of my everyday life.

The three most common themes in my dreams are traveling, elevators, and hotels.




In the dreams in which I travel, I am usually traveling by car, by train, by plane, by foot, or by flight. What is always certain is that I am excited to get to my destination. When consulting the dream dictionary on Dream Moods, it is discovered that dreaming about traveling signifies a desire to escape from your daily routines and burdens. The dreamer is often looking for a change in scenery and/or a fresh start. I would assume that this is a common theme for many individuals who feel stuck in a stagnant life routine. As a student, I constantly feel anxious to finish my studies so that I can go out and begin the next stage of adulthood. At least through dreams, I can envision myself getting out and seeing the world!

As the David Archuleta song says, elevator dreams can be an endless ride. Whether the lift goes up, or down, or worst case scenario, gets stuck, elevators symbolize the ups and downs of life. I've experienced all three variations in my dreams within the span of a year, and they all carry different meanings along with them. To dream of being trapped in an elevator symbolizes that one's emotions have gotten out of control, or may also be a reflection of one feeling stuck in some aspect of their life (be it one's career, relationship, etc). Descending in an elevator suggests that you are being grounded or coming back down to reality, whether through misfortunes or a matured outlook. Finally, ascending in an elevator can represent a rise in status, or, especially in my case, a rise to a higher level of consciousness where one

looks at the world from an elevated viewpoint. I'd definitely say that my transitions through each of these type of elevator dreams represents the personal changes I went through in 2011.
I checked into my hotel dreams when I had just started my current internship. As Dream Moods says, this symbol signifies a new state of mind or a shift in personal identity. The dreamer is undergoing some sort of transition away from old habits and old ways of thinking. I was blown away by how accurate this reading was, because it is true that my job has completely shifted my perspective on personal development, careers, and life in general!

After experiencing such motivating and uplifting themes in my sleep, you can imagine my great confusion when I woke up in the first morning of 2012 after dreaming about... coffins. Quite a morbid start to a new year, isn't it? The dream dictionary says that seeing a coffin in your dream can symbolize a number of things - one's thoughts and fears of death, irreconcilable differents, or ideas and habits that are no longer of use and can be buried. I suppose that the latter would be most applicable to my situation, with the dream perhaps being a message for me to bury my anxieties of the past year and to push myself to get over those fears in the new year?

I'll accept the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment